Monday, September 8, 2008

Buffy

Ok, I watched an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer in class on Wednesday and I noticed a TON of old school computer software. First of all, the monitors were absolutely huge! I also noticed that the laptop computer that appeared in this episode was also huge. It was very bulky and reminded me of a type writer or some type of handheld game; it looked like anything BUT a laptop!

Another thing that I noticed in this episode was how information just "popped up" on the screen, like the name and profile of people. Also, when Willow and her "boyfriend" were chatting, I noticed that a voice would read their messages. Last, the computers were used to spy on people. I thought these examples of the use of computers in this episode was somewhat unrealistic. I don't know much of anything about computers but I think what they used them for was not possible.

One last thing that I noticed was the scanner. It was a handheld scanner that was used to scan pages of a book and, within seconds, it all showed up on the computer. I know that scanners in 2008 don't even work that fast! I'm not sure if something could even work like that.

No comments: